Take the Generosity Checkup

Does your generosity do good and feel great?

Take the Generosity Checkup and find out!

Edward

Jun 27, 2017 at 8:48 AM

Edward, dog and JohnI used to think acts of generosity were strategic or spontaneous gifts we give. Now I believe generosity is how we live. This has been coming to me for some time now, and I sort of got it right in Connected for Good. But this notion catapulted to my consciousness when my ‘adopted brother’ Edward tragically died after being thrown from a horse. Hundreds and hundreds were affected by this loss; friends, students, fraternity brothers and colleagues joined his wife, two adult sons and four grandkids to mourn. This loss has been the deepest sorrow I’ve ever felt, and therein lies the insight about generosity.

Edward, like his uncle, who was my stepdad for 45 years, was so tight he squeaked when he walked. He drove old cars and endlessly repaired them and delayed replacing anything until its warranty was long gone. He saved everything like his Depression-era dad because “you might need that someday.”

Edward was not a donor the way you and I look at it. Oh, he would make a charitable gift from time to time, but he was so loved because he spent himself on others…constantly. He was always available- for any chore to help anyone. Widow’s “honey-do lists,” unemployed friends needing a cup of coffee and a listening ear, grieving widowers who could not get out of bed to mow their lawns are just a few ways he gave of himself.

Here is the insight: We are wired to contribute, not consume. Lives of consumption isolate our souls from the true source of happiness. Contributing to the well-being of another turns out to be the most powerful and undervalued expression of generosity. This way of living is not strategic at all, and those who live like this would hesitate calling themselves generous…and never philanthropic. However, the lives they touch feel loved somehow, and the giver flourishes. And when the giver is gone we come to know that generosity is spending ourselves and not just our money.

Read my book, Connected for Good: A Gameplan for a Generous Life, to discover stories of others who have been, become, or continue to be generosity champions.

8 responses to “Edward”

1. Harold Schroeder says:

A great line … “generosity is how we live” … fully agree!

2. David Grunwaldt says:

Thanks for Sharing John. Another wonderful insight you provide us about living a generous life. Quick story since you have been influencing me. I work in a highly competitive bottom line driven large organization. For the past couple of months I’m keeping myself more aware of holding a door for someone or buy a random cup of coffee for someone in one of our cafe’s. As you shared on our boat ride the other day, its wonderful how contagious generosity can be. Now I see OTHERS opening doors, saying thank you, even buying a cup of coffee from others from time to time. Thank for the note John you are a true friend living a generous life. Dave

3. Pamela Toogood Horvath says:

Thank you, John for the lovely sentiment regarding my little brother, Ed. He was one of a kind., and I miss him terribly.

4. Barb says:

Just like Jesus!

5. Wayne McDaniel says:

I like it! it is so true that there are many ways to give. Giving of ones life and time is the most precious of all.

6. Wayne McDaniel says:

It is so true that there are many ways to give. Giving of ones life and time is the most precious of all.

7. Alison Gresik says:

Thank you so much for sharing this portrait of Edward, and my condolences to you and your whole family on your loss.

8. Rick Harig says:

The journey from grief to sweet remembrance can be daunting. It seems Ed modeled a life well-lived. I hope the sting of your loss will soon fade and the recollections of his generous ways will heal your heart.